Fedora 7

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 5 11:49:48 UTC 2007

On 05.01.2007 03:59, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 00:25 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
 > [...]
>> <snip>
>> Nothing about anaconda?
>> In particular, the partitioning phase is (more or less) the same since
>> FC1 and not having something in place to resize an existing (most
>> likely ntfs) partition is a big drawback when compared to other
>> distros.
> Handling resize nicely is going to require a bit of rethinking and
> reworking of the entire partitioning interface (not to mention the
> backend code).  Given resource constraints, there's just not really a
> good way to get to something that's feature complete without losing big
> pieces in time for the feature freeze at test2.
>
> It's definitely something on the bigger picture roadmap for anaconda,
> but this just isn't going to be the release where it's reasonable for it
> to happen.

Just FYI: Vista will afaik be able to resize NTFS filesystems on it own.
Thus you should be able to free some space on a hard-disk with Vista and
install Linux to it. So I'm wondering if we need the resize-feature in
the future as much as we do today.

Sure, there are a lot of XP machines out in the wild, but most of the
*new* machines (where the ability to resize NTFS is mostly needed) will
ship with Vista by F8.

CU
thl