Fedora 7 (Network Manager)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Jan 5 22:23:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 00:07 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:42:27PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > It would be nice if NM supported profiles too.  Like "Home" and "Office"
> > > where it sets up /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf to be what you'd want
> > > for the two different networks.
> > Shouldn't resolve.conf be pulled from DNS?
>
> >From DNS? How's *that* gonna work without a resolv.conf? :)
>
> But anyway, man do I hate it when a DHCP connection overrides the default
> search path I put in there. When I type an unqualified name on my laptop, I
> expect it to always mean the same thing. Sigh.

I agree fully. I don't mind (in fact, I'm glad) that the name server
changes. However, don't touch my DNS search path.

It would be great if NetworkManager allowed defining a DNS domain that
could be prepended to whatever the DHCP sent (if any). Windows allows
this.

This can be done with dhclient-XXX.conf

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs