Fedora 7 (IP aliases)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Jan 5 23:03:49 UTC 2007

> Ola Thoresen (redhat at olen.net) said:
> > It is at least important to be able to add multiple addresses to one
> > (physical) interface.
> > I personally don't like the old eth0:0 eth0:1 (...), but prefer the new
> > iproute2 style, but I guess I can live with aliases as long as it is
> > easy to add/remove them.
>
> Aliases (eth0:0) need to die. Of course, I've been saying that for years
> and haven't killed them yet. :/

SUSE moved to iproute2 style aliases awhile back and it would be nice to
have one less difference in distributions (especially for me, since I
write books covering Linux distros).

The only drawback is you can no longer depend on /sbin/ifconfig to show
you the all the IPs bound to a NIC. This is especially jarring for sys
admins moving from a-flavor-of-UNIX to Linux. It would be nice if
ifconfig displayed iproute2 style aliases.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs