Domain search path (was Re: Fedora 7)

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Fri Jan 5 23:33:31 UTC 2007

Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 Matthew Miller wrote:
>> But anyway, man do I hate it when a DHCP connection overrides the
>> default search path I put in there. When I type an unqualified name on
>> my laptop, I expect it to always mean the same thing. Sigh.
>
> Drove me crazy too before I discovered $LOCALDOMAIN lurking at the end
> of the resolv.conf manpage.
>
> 	echo 'export LOCALDOMAIN="dom1.com dom2.org"' >>/etc/profile
>
> Via ~/.bash_profile it even lets me set my domain search path on
> machines where I don't have root.

Wow! Sounds perfect!
Except it does not seem to work with most apps?

$ export LOCALDOMAIN="nytt.no"
$ echo $LOCALDOMAIN
nytt.no
$ host poseidon
Host poseidon not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ ping poseidon
ping: unknown host poseidon

- but

$ host poseidon.nytt.no
poseidon.nytt.no has address 195.159.132.73

and for some reason

$ traceroute poseidon
traceroute to poseidon (195.159.132.73), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

 From stracing the "host" process it does not seems like it bothers
about the LOCALDOMAIN at all.

nscd is not running, so that should not be the problem.

A bug in a resolver-library, or something I overlooked?

Rgds.

--