Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 6 18:19:11 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:

> My point was that if someone wants to make Fedora a better desktop,
> start by jumping on IRC and interactive with us! I'd be thrilled to see
> Fedora users come out and say "hey, I want to write this or that app".

People usually realise the existence of irc channels because of the
frequent updates from them. For example, Fedora Extras Steering
Committee has a public schedule and post summaries from all the meetings
they have on a weekly basis.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

> No way, it needs to be developers solely interested in the _development_
> of the desktop, not this forum we have on this list which is more
> packaging-entry. It's way too noisy to get any desktop development done
> on this list I think.

Well, the moment you start posting anything substantial, more people are
going to subscribe and start posting. We can't help. On the other hand
even if some of it is noise (I deserve the blame in some cases), it does
show interest. You might able to turn that interest into contributions -
   testing, triaging, development work etc. Fedora-art list is a good
example here.

> Again, people should get involved in upstream GNOME and upstream fd.o
> development. People just _don't_ seem to get this - just look at the NM
> sub-thread of this thread. This surely belongs on
> networkmanager-list at gnome.org and _people_ still don't get it. Well,
> maybe I'm ranting but the thread here did show good ideas - why not take
> it to the upstream list where we have more NM wizards that Dan Williams?

Users would see that as part of Fedora development rather than wanting
to post to all the different upstream mailing lists. I can talk about NM
here but I am not inclined to subscribe to another mailing list just to
post a few points.

> On a constructive note, how can we raise awareness in the Fedora
> community that development needs to happen upstream if possible?

Having a easily accessible documented policy like
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy would help here.

How can
> we easily direct people to gnome.org mailing lists and IRC channels?

Might have a sub page in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate to
point to the upstream projects that we actively work on and care about.

> (Of course, for some things Fedora _is_ the upstream, see e.g. the
> livecd development work. That's open and going well.)

Yes. It does. Much appreciated.  Thank you.

Rahul