Fedora 7

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 21:00:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 15:02 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 14:51 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> > fedora-art-list is not a democracy, but rather a meritocracy.
>
> It is not. It's run by very loud people who are not afraid to resort to
> personal attacks and forming fractions and alliances.

This is exactly what I've noticed as well.  Not what I expected to see,
but that's ok, been there done that, they can bring it.

> > The vast
> > majority of the work there has been done by volunteers, with Máirín
> > Duffy doing most of the community outreach and communication.  Not
> > everyone there has equal decision making power.  Those who have done
> > work and gained respect from others gain greater authority.  From merit,
> > some clear community leaders have emerged like Nicu Buculei.
>
> "Communication" is not the only deciding factor. I think the work on
> that list is not up to Fedora release quality. As the maintainer of the
> artwork packages plus dealing with graphics people both in this and past
> jobs I can make that statement. I doubt that you can.
>
> (This is harsh, but sorry, Warren pushed me to say such things.)

I don't think it's harsh, I just think it's the truth.

> > This is NOT YOUR DECISION.  This is the Board's decision.
>
> I know, but I am free to disagree with the board. I think they are
> trading quality for building "community". They are in this case, I
> think, hurting the quality of Fedora by turning the art selection
> process into a democracy. It's a shame and it makes believe less in the
> board.

I see alot of things that don't ring true; for instance, in this
discussion there has been absolutely no mention of technical merit with
regard to your contributions.  To the contrary, there has only been
discussion of authority and overriding decisions.  To me this smacks of
elitism; "We agree with you as long as you say what we like.  Otherwise
we don't want to hear what you say."

> > I will discuss this in public, because the Fedora Project should be
> > transparent and open.
>
> You are just naive (and you should know better) that this is a good
> forum to discuss such matters in. Most of the issues in this case are
> personal so it's even bad form to bring it up here. You should be really
> ashamed of yourself Warren. I'm positive no constructive discussion can
> follow so I'm replying to any of your replies. Thanks.
>
>       David

But you know what?  This is exactly the forum to discuss in, because
from here we get a good idea of what Warren is all about.  Personal or
no, one guy locked in a room with 50 assailants is not going to promote
progress.

This is the arena of ideas.  Let the users help sort this out.  Trust
them to help you because, it is, after all, for their benefit that all
these things take place.

You are not the first one to have problems of this nature with the, eh,
"meritocracy".

LX