Fedora 7

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jan 6 21:26:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 12:04 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 1/6/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Because it is a targetted spin for a particular peice of software, much like
> > an eclipse spin or XFCE spin or asterisk spin.
>
> Or to but it another way. Is the door open for a pure gnome spin using
> community power in the future? Where we have the default browser be
> gnome's default browser.. and use  the gnome specific office
> applications instead of open office?

I think the Fedora project should be open to this kind of thing; I think
we want to make it extremely easy to do "spins" including having some
kind of hosting space provided by the Fedora Project for "blessed"
spins.

Anyone should be able to easily start up a "spin" (even large
corporations for internal deployments but I'm thinking more of Fedora
Special Interest Group (SIG) like XFCE, E17, Music, Games, Eclipse etc.)
and once it has proved itself perhaps it can be officially hosted by the
Fedora Project.

What all this means is probably too early to discuss (I'm thinking out
loud!) but after F7 is out it would be good to see some guidelines on
how all this is going to work out. We want to ensure, for one thing,
that it doesn't grow out of bounds, e.g. we have 100 little used spins;
I think rather we want < 10 high quality and maintained spins.

The governance structure of who controls a spin needs to be thought
about too including guidelines when for resolving conflicts when a
package is needed by more than one spin and there is divergence on how
the package should be packaged up.

With guidelines and thinking of all this... we can start building tools
to easily enable people to do spins. It will take a lot of time to write
all this down though. It's not too early to start I think.

Btw, as a bad analogy, I see

 Fedora Package Collection  ~=   Debian
            Fedora Desktop  ~=   Ubuntu
                Fedora KDE  ~=   Kubuntu

e.g. "spins" are derived Fedora distributions in their very own sense. I
think that's somewhat worth pointing out as it helps put things in
perspective. But let's start with Desktop, Server and KDE as the three
first spins! God knows, we have enough on our plate for F7.

(Btw, I'd welcome a purist GNOME spin - note that our Fedora 6 live CD
uses GNOME office!)

      David