Fedora 7

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 21:50:49 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> I think the Fedora project should be open to this kind of thing; I think
> we want to make it extremely easy to do "spins" including having some
> kind of hosting space provided by the Fedora Project for "blessed"
> spins.

I am just trying to recast the discussion, to show that the issue over
spin branding isn't really
a strict Desktop spin == Gnome spin versus KDE spin.  The reality is
Desktop spin == FrankeinFood spin.

> Anyone should be able to easily start up a "spin" (even large
> corporations for internal deployments but I'm thinking more of Fedora
> Special Interest Group (SIG) like XFCE, E17, Music, Games, Eclipse etc.)
> and once it has proved itself perhaps it can be officially hosted by the
> Fedora Project.

We may get 'easily' from a toolset point of view. But I personally
have significant concerns that community SIGS will be able to meet my
reasonable expectations with regard to quality integration work. I
will say that the work the FedoraUnity people have been doing with
their livecds and re-spins assuages some of my deeper fears and should
be looked to as a model on how people in the fedora community can
self-organize to get things done.

> The governance structure of who controls a spin needs to be thought
> about too including guidelines when for resolving conflicts when a
> package is needed by more than one spin and there is divergence on how
> the package should be packaged up.

Conflicts will always happen, people will have to be willing to work
within a defined conflict resolution process and abide by the
decisions.  I expect the biggest pain associated with the merger,
across a number of fronts, will be  integrating the in-house culture
surrounding how plans for Core are made, with the external culture
that has been developing for the last 2 or 3 years.  I hope there is a
chance for internal and external leads to meet up at FudCon, over some
pizza and beer and some high-spirited wii-sports competitions, and get
to know each other beyond what they see in mailinglist conflicts.

-jef"patiently waiting for FUDCon Fairbanks"spaleta