Fedora 7: .desktop files, Name vs. GenericName

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun Jan 7 04:34:41 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 08:12 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> So why havent we fixed up the menu to be meaningful?
>> KDE doesn't *need* fixing, it isn't broke.  Konq already (can) display as
>> Konqueror Web Browswer
>> IMO, the fact that other apps (and gnome) in Fedora does this
>> differently by abusing
>> Name=
>> vs.
>> GenericName=
>> in .desktip files is bad/wrong/silly/bug.  As long as I have any input
>> on it,
>> * KDE will not go down that road, ever.
>> * Packaging Guidelines should be updated highlight/avoid such abuse

> Rex, not every design decision made by the desktop team can be reverted
> via the packaging guidelines. Committees work best if they don't try to
> grab too much power.

I just *knew* someone would take my rant the wrong way.  (:

fdo .desktop standards allow for what the desktop team was aiming for
(simplified menus, afaict), but, it's the implementation of said goal
that was, imho, ill-conceived.  I'm merely hoping to make that clear,
and by codifying/clarifying the Packaging Guidelines on the topic to
avoid such folly in the future.

-- Rex

-- Rex