experimental 2.6.19 kernel preview.

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 7 06:03:23 UTC 2007

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:23:02PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>  > note that this build doesn't have the fix for the mmap corruption problem
>  > which got quite a bit of attention last week.  I'll get a fixed build
>  > up there soon, but in the meantime, tread carefully with this one.
>
> I've been working on a 2.6.19 update for FC6 over the last
> few weeks, and it's starting to feel 'almost ready'.
> Before I push this out to updates-testing though, I'd rather
> have a few people 'kick the tyres' to make sure there's
> nothing really silly wrong with these.
>
> There are still 1-2 bits that need some more tweaking/fixing that I
> already know about, but I'm blocking on other people to get those fixed.
>
> You can find them at http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC6/
>
> Notable points:
>
>  - The big difference here vs the 2.6.19 that briefly showed up
>    in rawhide is that this kernel sticks with the older IDE code
>    (so you won't get a nasty surprise when your /dev/hda becomes sda etc).
>    I just don't feel comfortable pushing that as an update without
>    worrying about regressions.

It doesn't boot on my rawhide box which is a one IDE hard drive box.

the error is:
  "/bin/nash: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory.
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

none of the other 2.6.19 kernels from rawhide will boot either.

Richard