Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 20:11:37 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 09:22:04PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > core+extras today is around 5000 packages iirc.  This is only going
> > to get bigger.  How can possibly make sense to install every package
> > known to man?
>
> What makes you think the installation is pointed at a full core+extras
> mirror instead of a selected subset?  Not everybody is stupid you
> know.

To be honest, because people (myself included) are morons. We are sure
that we are being gipped by the packagers and unless we have it ALL we
may be missing some secret tool, item that they are keeping away from
us.  [God the number of bugs we used to get on "I clicked on
Everything and found out that it didnt install all the files because
of my language choice. This is a stop critical bug!"]

80% of the people who opened tickets during 7 did everything installs
when asked. The problems they had were mostly due to having everything
installed (running out disk, wondering why tux was conflicting with
httpd (or something like that).