Fedora 7

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Tue Jan 9 15:08:37 UTC 2007

Warren Togami wrote:
> Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>>
>> So?  My comments weren't about gnome versus kde.  I have no reason to
>> expect other than that portions of the project which receive the
>> greater number of developers from wherever in the community will make
>> the most progress.  My comments are about whether Red Hat plans to be
>> just a part of the community, and your comments seem to answer than in
>> the negative.  Which is directly contradictory to what other folks
>> from Red Hat have been saying.
>>

> More broadly... Fedora is not a democracy.
>
> Fedora is a meritocracy.
>
> Those who have done good work and the respect of their peers gain
> greater credibility in the project.  These people who have earned trust
> from others exist at varying levels within the organization help to make
> decisions.
>
> Red Hat employees just happen to have many inputs into the Fedora
> Project as part of their regular jobs.
>
> One issue however that I see with this, is historic lack of
> inter-communication between the RH Desktop team and the community.  The
> recent explosion on fedora-art-list is a salient example of this kind of
> conflict.  A perceived corporate "outsider" who had not attempted to
> participate in the community prior, appeared suddenly with a
> heavy-handed power play, attempting to subvert the already in-progress
> community process.  I did not appreciate David's attitude in that
> instance, and I think David has blown his response in this thread out of
> proportion.
>
> Really, please folks, just calm down.
>
> Fedora Desktop and Fedora KDE spins.  Is that really so bad?

Speaking from a community perspective, YES.  And I personally thought
that Rahul captured my feelings exactly when he said, "It would be
consistent to have something like

Fedora Desktop (GNOME edition) and
Fedora Desktop (KDE edition)

It's confusing and discriminatory to call one of the spins as the
desktop when you have more (which is likely to increase) than one
desktop oriented spins."

But I will note that the RH Desktop team (I am assuming this is for the
most part the Fedora Desktop team as well) has given little more than
lip service to Rahul's message.  They have certainly not conveyed any
message along the lines, "He's got a point there, Judge..." to the
community, as heard by this community member.  Rather, the message I get
over and over again is that the current Fedora desktop crew is rather
enamored with the "Fedora Desktop" spin and is not about to let go of
it, no matter how reasonable and sensible an action that might be when
viewed from 35,000 feet.

And just to make sure there is not a lack of communication between the
community (me) and you (Warren), I think the answer to your question is
unequivocally Y-E-S.

I hope that was all clear.  Let me know if I should try to say it
another way.

Thanks,

-pmr