rawhide report: 20070108 changes

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Jan 9 15:23:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:03:30PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> from "uname -r" --> that now and then confuses external kmods that check
> for the kernel release during "configure" or similar scripts. They due
> to that might not build -> okay, I can live with that and fix it myself.
> But if can lead to silent breakage, too, if some "ifdef'ed" workarounds
> for newer kernels don't get applied.
Well. Considering the RPM versioning trickyness, just about the only
"workable" approach would be calling the kernels something like
2.6.19.994-1.2864.fc6 (for .20rc4), except scripts would still get confused,
and users too (since such a version doesn't exist upstream, and the upstream
original tarball still is linux-2.6.19.tar.bz2)

The current naming is probably the least worst of a bunch of problemful
naming options. rpm -q --changelog (and cvsweb) is your friend.
Besides, it's only rawhide kernels that have confusing names ;)

--
Pekka Pietikainen