Fedora 7 and enabling updates repositories at install time

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jan 9 21:48:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:00:00PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Thanks for the research.  I'd rather not promote a usage that doesn't work
> across our installation types, and I don't feel all that great about this
> being fixed for cd/dvd media for this release.

I don't think it's bad to introduce this for network installs only for
Fedora 7. If you're doing a cd/dvd install, you already have the old
packages, so it doesn't really matter if you download the updates now or a
bit later. With a network install, though, without including the updates,
you download the packages and then potentially the same packages again.

This is not insignificant -- there are currently 944 latest-version-only
rpms in FC6 x86_64 updates, totaling 2.4 GB. That's a full two-thirds of the
original distribution!

And that's not even considering Extras.