Fedora 7 and enabling updates repositories at install time

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 22:25:00 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 16:48, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I don't think it's bad to introduce this for network installs only for
> Fedora 7. If you're doing a cd/dvd install, you already have the old
> packages, so it doesn't really matter if you download the updates now or a
> bit later. With a network install, though, without including the updates,
> you download the packages and then potentially the same packages again.
>
> This is not insignificant -- there are currently 944 latest-version-only
> rpms in FC6 x86_64 updates, totaling 2.4 GB. That's a full two-thirds of
> the original distribution!
>
> And that's not even considering Extras.

Well, it's not really 'introducing' as the functionality is there, you just
have to add your repo.  I hoped to get testing on this after F6 released, and
we still can if you're doing network installs.  Same can continue through F7,
we could even state that you could do this.  I don't want to put UI in the
installer that we know would break if you're doing a CD install.  (UI being a
checkbox to enable updates)

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora