Fedora 7 and enabling updates repositories at install time

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 15:44:24 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 10 January 2007 05:54, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Is this something to fix in anaconda or in the updates repo? Having
> > installs properly use the updated packages would be a *great* feature.
>
> Its actually something that needs to be fixed in RPM I think.  Its only broken
> for media installs or NFS ISO because of the way that rpm prepares a
> transaction and needs the headers for this, and we don't have access to the
> headers from the other CDs, so ordering gets really bad.  If you're doing
> http/ftp/nfs(non-iso) installs, you should be safe to enable updates at
> install time.

That's not an entirely fair characterization -- it's really inherent to
how the entire stack works and a fix could go into any of a number of
places.  Each has its own level of making me want to puke :-/

It's definitely something that needs some more looking at before saying
anything definitive for F7.

Jeremy