F7 KDE spin

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 10 16:57:07 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara <gilboad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> You don't want to remove Firefox because Konq is the better tool - you
> want to remove [Firefox]* because it doesn't fit your purist view of KDE-only
> distribution.

Not really (though I see how you could get that impression). I use some non-KDE
apps daily, X-Chat for example. (I like its C plugin interface, I have written
a few script-like plugins in C for X-Chat. Most users will probably be happy
with Konversation though, if they even use IRC at all.) I doubt the usefulness
of Firefox in particular (over Konqueror) though (and the usefulness of
Evolution even more, considering that I never use it whereas I use KMail all
the time, and that AFAICS it gets more flames than any other application which
ships with Fedora). Personally, I'd rather have X-Chat available than Firefox
or Evolution, but that is my very biased personal preference.

As for generally useful non-KDE apps (not just the one I happen to use the
most ;-) ), I think OO.o and GIMP qualify, but IMHO not Firefox and definitely
not Evolution. Ekiga might also be interesting, though that probably drags in
several GNOME libs too.

* I guess that's what you meant because otherwise your sentence makes no
sense. ;-)

        Kevin Kofler