experimental 2.6.19 kernel preview.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 10 21:41:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 22:30 +0100, dragoran wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
> > [...]
> > Um... This is a FC-6 erratum.  Let's not go enabling new stuff in a
> > released version.  Rawhide is where this should be enabled first.
> >

> I disagree here..
> enabling a new filesystem driver in a errata kernel can't break anything
> (=no regressions) because the driver was not enabled before and it won't
> get loaded until you do it manually.
> so I see no reason not to enable it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  It can cause yet more burden on the
kernel developers if lots of people start enabling and loading it and it
breaks.  And "now I can mount my ntfs partitions and just use that" is
quite and incentive for people to try.

As for regressions, it's in the kernel.  It can break anything if has a
bug and starts corrupting memory.  It has no place in FC-6 IMHO.  It
should be shaken out in rawhide first.

josh