F7 KDE spin

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Jan 10 16:30:37 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 05:41am, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 20:06 +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> > On 1/9/07, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Asking them to download 100s of MB during the installation is a
> > > mistake.
> >
> > Then they will have to download the 100s of MB through downloads!
> > In the end, it is the same thing.
>
> -Far- from being the same thing.
> A. Some people get/buy the FC ISO and never use it on-line. Heck, I've
> worked in places that (for security reasons) never Internet connection.
> What-you-have-on-the-ISO-is-what-you-get.
> B. A single ISO can be duplicated over and over again. I can't share a
> yum-cache with my friend.

Yes you can, just copy /var/cache/yum/ to a USB keychain drive (or SD card,
or ...) or burn it to a disc.  However, because the cache will change almost
daily, this could get tedious.

Personally, I have local mirrors on my home file server of the updates repos
for each release I have running.  Every 6 hours, a cron job runs a script
which syncs me up and then runs createrepo on my copy (that way, it always
works regardless of the sync status of the mirror I'm pulling from).  My
machines all use it.

I've also created a "mirrorlist" script on a web server (PHP) for myself that
will give me just my local mirror when within my network, and get the current
mirrorlist to pass back when outside of my network.  I then point my
notebooks' updates repo config to that mirrorlist.  The next step is to
extend this to also work with the local mirror on the network at my office
when I'm there.

I haven't tried to do installs with updates, yet, but I'm looking forward to
doing it.  I expect that I will always use my local mirror.

> C. Single-file FTP/HTTP/BT downloads are faster and more reliable then
> yum. BT handles notoriously bad TCP connections much better then
> FTP/HTTP (...and as a result, yum)

Yes.  Still, I run yum simply because it's easier.  Local mirrors also help.

[snip]
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.