proposal: mailing list reorganization

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 11 14:48:19 UTC 2007

Nigel Metheringham schrieb:
> On 10 Jan 2007, at 19:56, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Not to mention that one can't really easily "rename" a list.

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.070.htp
sound not to hard IMHO. And I think such a renaming doesn't make us a
spam company if it's announced properly in advance *and* if that list is
the only direct successor for the old list.

Other opinions?

>>  Most
>> often it is
>> close one list, open a new one, mass subscribe.  Its that last step
>> that gets
>> our IS in a tiff, as mass subscribing without end user consent is
>> tatamount
>> to spam, and we REALLY don't want to be a spam company.
> Send out (Mailman) invites rather than subscribing people.  Has the
> advantage of doing a list prune at the same time, and the target
> audience ought to be up to handling the idea.

Would people prefer that over a rename?

BTW, we'll probably use the invite feature for lists that have no direct
successor.

CU
thl