proposal: mailing list reorganization

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jan 11 15:01:31 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 11 janvier 2007 15:42, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot schrieb:
>>> You realize that it'll break any existing filters if we go off renaming
>>> things right?
>> The other renamings will break filters anyway. There's only one thing
>> worse than incompatible changes — halfway-incompatible changes.
>
> Well, there are so many lists with "-list" postfix. Renaming all of them
> just for the sake of being consistent with all those others that don't
> have a "list" postfix is IMHO not worth the trouble for the users.

It is worth the trouble. And I write it as someone with more -list than
non-list subscriptions, who will have a merry time during the change. I'll
gladly sacrifice my setup to the consistency altar.

If you want to go the "minimum changes" route I'll insist to have all
lists grow a -list postfix, non-postfixed lists are the oddball here ;)

Please do it right, or don't do it at all.

--
Nicolas Mailhot