proposal: mailing list reorganization

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jan 11 15:03:49 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote :

> Find below a proposal for a mailing list reorganization the board asked
> me to work on.

One question : Why are all Fedora lists @redhat.com and not
@fedoraproject.org?

With the Red Hat vs. Fedora infrastructure split, I fail to see the
rationale behind having all Fedora mailing lists have @redhat.com
addresses.

One suggestion : From a sysadmin point of view, I've always found it a
lot more easy to isolate mailing-list traffic from all other mail
traffic, typically by having all lists be @lists.domain instead of
"plain" @domain, and have lists.domain's MX point to a mail server
setup only for mailing-lists. This also eases web-based Mailman list
creation, as it then "just works" with no external calls and such.

My suggestion here would be to create all new lists as
listname at lists.fedoraproject.org and eventually migrate the existing
ones, for which it makes sense to do so, later on.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2888.fc6
Load : 0.31 0.29 0.29