Fedora Core 7 - Compiz vs Beryl

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 13:18:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 9:27 pm, Otto Rey wrote:
> What do you think about to replace Compiz with Beryl, and merge "Desktop
> Effects" with "Beryl Manager" in FC7?
>
> My vote: +1
>
> Otto Rey

So far this thread appears to have focused on the configuration of beryl
versus compiz plus packaging. These are important of course but what about
performance ?

Just to add my experience of running both, I have found compiz much better. I
have an nvidia go 5640 with 128M. compiz runs perfectly smoothly, the effects
look great and don't slow things down. With beryl, the effects are more jerky
and no where near as smooth.

Reading around the mailing lists I also understand that beryl is not as well
implemented as compiz. It requires two pixmaps per client window whereas
compiz only needs one (someone please correct me here if I am wrong). So it
simply uses more video ram to do the same things.

So please, can we also bring performance into the discussion. From my
experiences beryl is not yet ready to replace compiz, but maybe others have
different experiences. I for one would like to see both beryl and compiz
being kept available, just to see how both projects pan out.

Chris