Fedora Server Spin

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 18:24:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 10:34 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> okay this is insane. This is a server install. Let's have a single cd of
> almost nothing.
>
> A server install should be @Core, openssh-server, yum and that's pretty
> much it.
>
> Enough to get networking up and nothing else. After that the admin can
> install the components they need for the service the server will provide
> and be done with it.

The thing we are missing is some sort of agreement on what the server
spin should be: I think everybody agrees that the minimal install you
describe should be possible. The question is: what does the admin do
afterwards ? If they install whatever they need over the newtwork why
bother with a server spin to begin with ? We can just fiddle with @core
a little and give them a kickstart file that produces the minimal
install.

But what about a customized comps file ? Is that desirable for a server
spin ? Absolutely; and to arrive at that we do need to talk about
including TurboGears and lots of other packages that people use on their
servers.

David