proposal: mailing list reorganization

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 12 19:13:25 UTC 2007

Pete Zaitcev schrieb:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:25:09 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> The other goal is to get rid of those lists:
> Might as well kill fedora-patch-list too. It saw no uptake at all.

That seems to be gone already afaics. Or I'm to stupid to find it again
(I was even subscribed to it iirc).

>>  * fedora-devel -- For devel discussion. The "old" fedora-devel-list
>> became quite noise and we want to avoid that with the new list. Thus the
>> plan is to restrict it to well known open-source or project contributors
>> and make it moderated for the rest of the world. Support questions
>> regarding devel stuff are off topic here.
> I question the assertion behind this. Fedora-devel-list is rather
> quiet, considering the size of the project.

Seems it was still to much and thus fedora-maintainers got created. But
having two lists like that with related topics is IMHO more confusing
than helpful...

>>  * fedora-devel-discuss -- We need an open devel list for users as
>> fedora-devel is restricted. Support questions regarding devel stuff are
>> on topic here, too.
> Very dubious idea, but ok.
>
> My main problem with this proposal is that you're trying to recreate
> the current system of fedora-maintainers and fedora-devel-list
> with no change at all. [...]

Now: fedora-devel-list (devel and users), fedora-test-list (users and a
bit devel, too), fedora-maintainers (devel, private)

Then: fedora-devel-discuss (users) fedora-devel (devel, semi-public)

I think that's a lot better.

>> === fedora-cvs-commits ===
>>
>> All commits should go here, but separated into topics  (web, docs, F7,
>> devel, ...), similar how we do it for how we do for
>> fedora-packaging-announce
> Detail: how is it going to be separated? I'd hate to see more
> square brackets in subjects.

Mailman supports topics. You can (un)subscribe to them in the mailman
web-interface. No stuff in subjects.

>> === fedora-maintainers to fedora-devel ===
>> Rename to fedora-devel. Free to post for all fedora contributors (being
>> in ambassadors, mentors, packagers, ...). Moderated for the rest of the
>> world (we need a whole team of moderators for it). [...]
> You know how easy it is to forge e-mail identities, don't you?

Sure. But I'm quite sure most people won't do that. ;-)

>> === Mailman guidelines ===
>>  * the reply-to should point to the list (reply_goes_to_list = this list)
> I hate that, but bow to the will of the majority. I override it
> manually when I compose replies anyway. It's just an annoyance.

Well, whatever we set, some people will be unhappy with it... And most
of out current lists use it alreay, so I'd like to stick to it to not
confuse people even more.

>>  * no tagging (subject_prefix = <empty> )
> Thanks for that at least.

np :-)

CU
thl