Fedora Server Spin

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Sat Jan 13 16:49:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 01:59:27PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> We can probably get to that.  I'm intersted in seeing a well trimmed core/base
> that is the "default" install.  It is not minimal, it has things like yum,
> and maybe a client or to for poking at the network.  Then we have some groups
> for various server tasks that people can look into and select exactly what
> they want.  Including some system-config-* stuff for managing these things,
> and the x/xauth libraries for running these over ssh (no X on the box).
> Also, no compiler.  All those things are gainable by yum install after the
> fact, or enabling the monster repo during the install and checking those.
>
> That sounds like a "Server" spin to me.

No, that's a minimal install.  A server spin installs the "fedora
selection" of servers to do usual server tasks, which probably means
things like http/https/webdav, web caching, ftpd, ldap, mail, DB, etc.

A minimal install is an install that is good enough to boot the
system, log on it and install what you really need, but is not in
practice usable by itself.

  OG.