Fedora 7 - USB Install method - Everything ISO.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 15:36:56 UTC 2007

> Naoki (naoki at valuecommerce.com) said:
> > DVDs are a pain, they are cumbersome and too small to fit a full OS
>
> ... then perhaps that the OS is so big is the problem. :)
>
> More seriously...
>
> > So would it not make sense to have an "everything" ISO for use on
> > removable USB devices?
>
> *Shrug*. Wouldn't really make sense for it to be an ISO, from a
> raw FS standpoint. You could have a torrent that just makes
> a directory, even.

ISOs are convenient from a distribution standpoint just to ensure that
things were downloaded correctly[1].  I can see how spending some time
to make the "install from a USB device" a little bit easier could
definitely have advantages.  At the same time, I don't think that the
areas for which DVDs are a problem will be better off with large USB
storage devices.

Jeremy

[1] Also, for ensuring that people don't delete things because "I don't
need that" then leading to install problems.  Not that such a thing ever
happened with hd tree installs :-)