plans for long term support releases?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:50:47 UTC 2007

> A) Fedora is about new software.  Even in our released lines, we
> constantly
> upgrade to new software to fix bugs, rather than backport.  Would you
> try to
> change this philosophy in your extended release?

I agree with this point. Fedora is a very aggressive distribution and
trying to extend the lifetime by switching to a "try not to break
anything by patching old versions" at the end of a distro life is wrong
in my opinion.

To me, if I want to deploy Linux in an enterprise where I require 5
years support, I buy a RHEL subscription. That's what people pay the
money for, long term support.

If I want to install a box for my parents that I can update to the
latest Fedora once a year at Christmas - I choose Fedora to save some
cash.

That's the way I think about Fedora.

Richard.