Ruby and Rails packages (was: Fedora 7)

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 01:58:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 07:15 +0000, Leo wrote:
> It will also be good to finalize the ruby and rails packing guidelines
> so that people can start packing things.

The ruby guidelines have been around for a while [1]; what we don't have
is guidelines on packaging rubygems. That's a little more difficult
since gems implement their own packaging system, and making sure that
rpm-packaged gems and plain gems interoperate nicely requires some
thought (and work) In addition, gems are not suitable for distributing
binary extensions since they lack any semblance of multilib support.

Having said all that, I have packaged ruby-activerecord and
ruby-activesupport; one day, I swear I'll package the rest of rails, but
I'd love to see somebody beat me to it.

David

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Ruby