plans for long term support releases?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Jan 17 09:13:48 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus <at> tmus.dk> writes:
>> Now that Core and Extras are going to be merged and the distro is
>> opening up to become even more (?) community driven, has anyone played
>> with the though of eventually releasing a long term support version of
>> Fedora?
>
> Isn't that exactly what RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux is?
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I guess it is right now, but I believe there's been a lot of talk about
fedora becoming something more than the basis from which RHEL is molded.
Again, I feel it's important to state that I am in no way against the
way things are today. Fedora are stable enough (in the non-crashing
sense, well in that sense too), that I can use if for most if not all of
my systems.

The only thing fedora lacks is lifetime as I see it. And I'm not saying
that backporting securityfixes is the only way. If rolling versions as
we do for updates today would make this possible, I have absolutely no
problem with that. It would just be great to install all the 100s of
servers knowing that the OS would not need an upgrade after 13 months.

If RHEL and CentOS is the way(tm) to accomplish this, fair enough!

/Thomas