ensure upgrade paths through fedora to RHEL?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 17 15:49:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 16:40 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:08:25AM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:59 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > As a substitute or a complement to something similar with fedora
> > > legacy, it has more or less been suggested to allow for an upgrade path
> > > to RHEL. Should we set this as an objective for fedora? It could
> >
> > IMO, NO.  We have no control over RHEL, it's packaging, or it's upgrade
> > policies.
>
> Indeed, but couldn't it be possible to build up minimal coordination on
> that matter?

Frankly, I doubt it's worth it at the moment.  Fedora has much bigger
things to get done.

> I am not talking about supporting anything. But about having maintainers
> who care about the issue, and try to smooth things (from both sides of
> the fence).
>
> This should of course be something like a non-binding goal, think of it
> about an upgrade path less likely to break.

You're talking about upgrading to a product you have to purchase from
Red Hat.  That purchase includes support.  I doubt Red Hat will support
upgrading from Fedora.

Unless of course you meant CentOS.  In which case I still think it's not
worth worrying about.

josh