ensure upgrade paths through fedora to RHEL?

Christopher Ailllon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 06:34:05 UTC 2007

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:13:21AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 11:00, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>>
>> Except that there is a bit of a problem, the "new" RHEL comes after the
>> Fedora, but with a package set that is older.  There is an interesting mix
>> there.  And no, we're not going to hand tie the Fedora NVRs to try and make
>> them LOWER than that of the previous Fedora release.  That just doesn't work.
>
> you mean that RHEL isn't forked from a snapshot of a fedora release, but
> instead from a mix of fedora releases? In that case, indeed, there is
> nothing practical that can be done. :(

Fedora can't control when downstream vendors cut their branches.  What
happens this time may not happen next time.  The fact of the matter is
that RHEL and Fedora are very different products.  Just like you
wouldn't try to supporting upgrading from Fedora to Ubuntu (why not?
they both have the same upstream sources at some point) you can't really
do that in this case, either.