dkms for fc7?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Jan 19 14:35:56 UTC 2007

Neal Becker wrote :

> I know there was some discussion about dkms for fedora.  It seemed (to me)
> mostly positive.  Is there interest in pushing this forward for fc7?

This has already been discussed before :

1) dkms is in Fedora (Extras), so you're good to go.
2) Fedora seems to be more interested in working on a long term
solution for kernel modules, having them cleanly available as rpm
packages, instead of starting using dkms.

I perfectly understand the decision, but went for the best short term
solution already available (IMHO), dkms, in my freshrpms.net
packages ;-) And it's been a real success given all the positive
feedback I get, especially for the nvidia driver. Not to mention how
it's made life soooo much easier for me to track Rawhide on my home
computer which has a madwifi chip and and lirc_serial remote control!

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 7.76 4.76 3.33