Fedora Tracker is in need of a new home

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:47:23 UTC 2007

> If you don't have links to third party repositories and nothing that
> could be considered 'contributory infringment'  then your service would
> fit well in the fedora infrastructure. But right now I know you point to
> places like livna, freshrpms, etc and those have things we're not
> allowed to point to.

I understand that.

Come to think of it, it is very easy to control which repositories the
tracker indexes. If it would get more people involved in Tracker's
development, I would support the creation of an "Official" tracker
that just indexes non-sketchy repositories, with a more inclusive
tracker hosted elsewhere (or indexing everything, but not providing
direct-dl links if that would satisfy people's concerns). With a
web-accessable database of all of the metadata from multiple
repositories, there's all kinds of cool stuff Tracker could do that I
just don't have time to code. For example:

- Providing "X Newest Updates/Changelogs" stats (plus rss feed of same)
- Allow users to "watch" packages and be notified whenever there is an update
- Identify inter-repository conflicts toward the end of making repos
play nicely with each other

...etc.

Is there actual interest in this?
--Brad