dkms for fc7?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 16:03:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 12:00 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> As far as I can see, the only downside to dkms modules is the
> requirement for a build environment on the client machines.  (Well,
> that and the lack of a set of packaging guidelines.  The build
> environment requirement kept dkms out of consideration for Fedora
> Extras kernel modules, a decision which I still find completely mind
> boggling.)

DKMS also adds another database that keeps track of the software you
have installed.  So instead of saying "please attach rpm -qa" so that
you can look and see what kernel modules have been added, you also need
to get the output of 'dkms list'.  It also adds a whole new layer to how
you get updates for the kernel modules beyond just "compile the same
thing against a new kernel"

Heck, why don't we also stop packaging perl modules as RPMs.  I mean,
there's CPAN, right?  And there's now the cheeseshop + setuptools for
python.

Jeremy