New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 05:46:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:07 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:33:17PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > Right but we're talking at cross-purposes.  What I mean is, are we using
> > these now with the fedora-extras and fedora-core dist-cvs?  If so, what
> > are the commands you're running to do that?
> >
> > Although we talk about branches with dist-cvs, there's no cvs branches
> > in the repository that I'm aware of.  So I'm wondering if Karel has some
> > commands that he's using now or if this is a "If we use real branches in
> > the next SCM, it'll give us the ability to do operation Xyz in a better
> > way."
>
> Well, there's nothing to really prevent someone from using a branch for
> private development.  The buildsys won't build off of it, but you can
> commit stuff to a branch if you'd like.  And of course, there's also the
> tagging we _do_ use.  Which is similar to a CVS branch.  You can actually
> do the merge command using tag names too.
>
> I can see some use cases for using branching with git, simply because
> branches are trivial to create and work with.

Yeah -- branches in subversion and bazaar are trivial, easy to use, and
space efficient as well.  I would much rather work with their branches
than cvs's "sticky tags", though, which is the barrier I see to using
private branches and "$SCM merge devel FC-6" with cvs.

I would be very interested in knowing if Karel or anyone else is using
cvs to do these things now and would like to have it easier to use or if
it's a feature they don't use within the package-SCM but would like to
see be easy to use in the new system.  (And that was a leading question
-- the alternative: "I use it now and it's filling all my branching
needs handily" would also be a good data point.)

-Toshio