kernel versionning problem

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Jan 23 07:56:28 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Tanguy Eric wrote:

>>> This one is going all the way up to Linus since apparently he prefers
>>> the current naming. See
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20070111
>>> for the glorious details.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>>
>> Ok but my problem is not really the kernel name but how a driver can
>> detect correctly the kernel version and eventually the backported patch
>> to compile fine ...
>
> Yes. The name of the kernel is directly related to that issue.
>
> Rahul

Besides, of course, the fact that different distros, which even may use
the same naming conventions, includes a batch of dissimilar patches and
.config options.
Determining from a version-number alone, which of a few patch will apply
cleanly to any non-vanilla kernel is virtually impossible.

/Thomas