dkms for fc7?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Jan 23 12:14:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:51:34PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I hope we (Spot, mdomsch, Jon Masters, /me, maybe some others) can sit
> down on the hackfest after fudon and work out a rough concept for the
> future.

I'd be happy to do so.  One of the things I need DKMS to do in the
near future is to generate the new kernel module packages
http://www.kerneldrivers.org/RedHatKernelModulePackages which is
almost as wasy as dropping a new kmp spec file template in and calling
'dkms mkkmp' on it.  Then the init-time autobuilder (or better yet, a
hook into /sbin/installkernel!!) could do the rebuild into srpm and
binrpm and install that.  I'm very open to changing the packaging
format, but the killer feature is the autobuilder when weak modules or
pre-built modules  aren't present for "your kernel".

In the past we've also gotten bit by rpm holding the database lock
running %post, so a dkms driver rpm that discovers at install time in
%post that it needs to build and install something can't actually
generate and install an RPM because that would be recursive.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect