New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 13:25:59 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 01:44, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> What I find arguable/questionable in FE's CVS-repos, is the way
> "FE-branches" have been implemented into it. They are implemented as
> separate directories instead of CVS-branches. If real CVS-branches had
> been used several details would have been much easier.
>
> In the early days of FE, I had been told the reason for this design
> decision had been AVCs, because CVS storing branches in files would
> prevent AVCs to be applicable.

Way back when, the dist-cvs method did use actual cvs branches, however the
workflow was not easy to apply changes across all branches.  And to some
extent having actual directories made life a bit easier for many things.
Now, directories COULD be implemented at the same time as cvs branches, just
a little extra work on the tool side when bringing them down.  But here we
are, and most of us feel that it would be better to move to a new SCM with
new possibilities rather than put significant effort into CVS.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora