xen images gone from rawhide.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 14:39:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:24 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 04:14 -0500, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > The address is incorrect and should be
> > http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64//os/images/xen
> >
> > Xen directory is indeed not available. Perhaps it has been moved.
>
> 	Each time the kernel RPM is updated with a new version from upstream
> the Xen patch needs to be merged with the latest kernel. Sometimes
> that's a huge task and the -xen kernel is disabled while the merge is
> being worked on. This last happened in rawhide after the
> 2.6.18-1.2784.2.3.fc7 kernel ... there hasn't been a kernel-xen since.

And not really helping matters at all is the fact that the upstream
xen-unstable code base was still on 2.6.16 up until about two weeks ago.
They're now up to 2.6.18, but that's still significantly behind the
2.6.20-rc that rawhide is tracking.  This just ends up being another
example of why we are so "upstream, upstream, upstream!" focused[1].

Jeremy

[1] Since in this case, where we compromised on the upstream angle, we
are now in a position where our users suffer because the upstream for
Xen doesn't track the upstream of the kernel well enough.  And the work
to do so takes a significant amount of time.