New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:55:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 14:20 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Part of the problem is that for our purposes, CVS really seems to work
> well enough.  Sure, it's not great, but really it's not the thing
> people complain about.

Exactly.  I think it's premature to be talking about whether git is
better than hg or how stinky cvs really is.

We need to define what we want to achieve by moving to something else.
What new workflow do we want to enable?  Do we want to prioritize
cooperation with upstreams?  Do we want people to have private branches?
That can build to sandboxes?

What pie-in-the-sky can you come up with that the package SCM can do for
us?  Then we can come up with ways to implement them in the various
SCMs.  Without knowing what our priorities are, we'll forever know that
our present system "works" and any one of five new systems could be
"better".

-Toshio