Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 30 17:22:26 UTC 2007

Hi all!

Phil Knirsch schrieb:

> We've recently started working on a project called Linux Hardware
> Compatibility
> Project or in short LHCP.

Nice. But well: It sound like yet-another-hardware-compatibility-list to
me. Thus I'm wondering: Don't we have enough of those already? You link
to several yourself on
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/LHCP/wiki/Links
So why yet another approach? Why not co-operate with one of those? Or
wait, let's do it even better: Try to work together with all of those
those and solve the problem once and for all *properly* and in a general
way? Read that as: cooperate with at least Novell/Opensuse, Debian and
Ubuntu and maybe get OSDL ^w TLF on board (from the start of).

> [...]
> There have been several Hardware Compatibility lists from vendors and
> other projects in the past, but most of them were limited in one
> aspect or another - so we start our own.

Is that reason really good enough? And how do you make sure your
approach is not "limited in one aspect or another" in the end, too? If
so many other projects did it wrong I'd say this effort will either need
a lot of work and manpower or it will run into similar problems.

> [...]
> Although the project is hosted under Fedora we're aiming it to be very
> distribution independant, so supporting other distributions should be
> easy to do.

Why don't we get then on the board *from the start* of?

> [...]

CU
thl