export restrictions in EULA

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:18:00 UTC 2007

2007/1/31, Jason Corley <jason.corley at gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure what list this is really appropriate for, so apologies if
> this is the wrong forum.  I noticed that the Fedora EULA still include
> notes about export restrictions, specifically:
>
>    "... understands that certain of the software are subject to export controls
>    under the U.S. Commerce Departments Export Administration Regulations
>    (EAR) ..."
>
> Cuba, Iran, North Korea, etc. are all restricted areas.  Out of
> curiosity how is that being enforced on the Fedora infrastructure end,
> and how is that restriction handling passed to mirrors?  Is each
> mirror required to implement their own set of restrictions?  Does a
> Fedora mirror server in Canada (or some other non-restricted country)
> sidestep that issue?  If so, doesn't that basically make the EULA
> clause moot (from a once the dam is broken kinda perspective)?

As I understand it the Free Media project does ship Fedora discs to
Cuba. Is there any refinement on this blanket export restriction --
which packages are actually affected? Perhaps we need a 'restricted'
Yum repository ala Debian's non-US.

As for a Fedora mirror server elsewhere, the source code = free speech
interpretation of the First Amendment would seem to indicate that if
the mirror rebuilds its own binaries then reexporting is not subject
to US laws anymore, but if not then it might be. Unless the
crypto-related software is always built on a Fedora build server in a
third country? (I recall that in the past some software are available
only from redhat.de for this reason)

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley