Inaccuracy of smolt i586 count - was 586 kernels.

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 08:18:38 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> Smolt numbers show the people that voluntarily submit profiles.
> Download statistics show the number of downloads that hit the main
> servers.  Neither can be used to derive estimators from the other.

One of the question is can the figures be used to derive proportionate
information from the data set - ie approximately what proportion of
people have (say) i586 systems from the rpm point of view.  Even if we
can get that information out of smolt for the systems reporting to smolt
(and by the looks of things the question is rather more complex than
uname -m), are i586 boxes equally likely to have enabled smolt reporting
as current generation boxes....

    Nigel.