OpenSceneGraph

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Sun Jul 1 15:47:51 UTC 2007

Here is Ben's (VTP upstream) reply regarding OSG 2.0:

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 11:25 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>>> The background behind all this:
>>>
>>> Do people consider it worth to have OSG-1 and OSG-2 packages in
>>> parallel?
>>>
>> Note I'm not an OSG user, but judging from this thread, yes that sounds like
>> the best solution.
>>
> It's an option I've been considering. Unfortunately OSG upstream has
> committed a couple of decisions which render parallel installation
> complicated (e.g. they dropped pkgconfig support :( )
>

>>> The run-time environments/packages could rather easily be made
>>> installable in parallel (e.g. by introducing a set of OSG-2 packages),
>>> but implementing this for the devel packages would be non-trivial.
>>>
>> If it really is a lot of pain to make them parallel installable,
>>
> The devel libs conflict, so the only option I see is installing OSG-2's
> devel libs into a %{_libdir}/osg-2.0 subdir.

Personally, I'd rather see the OSG-1 libs in an osg-1.0 subdir, and
basically treat the OSG-1 packages as legacy packages. That way, the
OpenSceneGraph package can just move ahead to 2.0 and packages that need
OSG-1 will have to explicitly state it.

>>  why not make
>> the -devel packages conflict each other?
>>
> That's one option.

I rather not see that.