Inaccuracy of smolt i586 count - was 586 kernels.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jul 1 17:05:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 14:50 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Also, this machine hasn't seen a "full upgrade" ever since an initial
> > Fedora install (years ago), but had been updated/upgraded using
> > networked command-line yum/apt updates/upgrades.
>
> Not related to this topic but how well has these upgrades work for you?

It's the way I've been installing Fedora on all of my machines for
years. Sometimes it had worked smoothly, sometimes it hasn't.

FC6->FC7 upgrades using yum/apt and package-cleanup worked comparatively
smoothly. Other upgrades before had been a PITA (Esp. upgrading FC5->FC6
had been a real disaster.)

The only major difference between using this procedure on i586s in
comparison to better cpus is

* Tightness on resources occasionally hitting very badly:
- RAM: yum and apt both bombed out during "upgrades" due to lack of
memory. Work-around: manually install packages using rpm/yum/apt.
Also critical wrt to RAM: SELinux (autolabel'ing running out of
memory!): Work-around: Manually run the SELinux tools or disable
SELinux.
- CPU-speed: yum and apt are sloooow. "yum update" runs take in the
order of hours.

* Limitations of the RH-config tools (No X11 nor Gnome on this machine.
IMO, Fedora lacks "usable no-X11 config tools".).

Ralf