Finding man files: CVS or RPM repositories?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Jul 2 08:55:39 UTC 2007

Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (CC'd to docs-list)
>
> My summer project[1] is at a stage where I need to think about finding all of
> the man pages in a Fedora release. I have basic CVS integration working so
> that the user can specify a package and a branch and it imports the man pages
> from that package to the wiki (by downloading the source tarball). You can
> read more about the status of my project from my newest weekly report[2].

Hi,

You're probably busy enough as is, but in case you have time another very
interesting source for man pages is Debian packages, Debina creates a manpage
for every package in the case upstream doesn't provide one.

Some of them are useless (boilerplate) but some are quite good. Taking a look
at the Debian manpages and submiytting bugs for packages who could benefit from
them would be a great thing todo. Now all you need is 48 hrs in a day :)

Regards,

Hans

> But what do you think is the best way of finding all of the man pages in a
> release?
>
> - Do a "cvs -co", parse it, download every source package and search for man
> files?

That might be the best, as sometimes packages contain man pages which do not
get installed with make install, and thus do not end up in the rpm.

While at it you might try to automatically  also check the manpages in the rpm
and if there are manpages in the sources which are not in the rpm file a bug
(this can also be done automatically).

Regards,

Hans