Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Alphonse Van Assche alcapcom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:12:46 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:40 +0200, Alphonse Van Assche wrote:
>> I you will see beagle slowdown your whole system. Just place some big
>> pdf files in a directory and index it, you will see pdf2html or so
>> take
>> the whole CPU time and you Desktop entirely no usable without killing
>> these processes. I was really happy to no have to yum remove \*beagle
>> \*
>> on F7.
>
> I tested it and here are the results:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P_X8UK2fQ
>
> You can see that pdf file of 5MB does start to use CPU at 100% but it
> has high nice value so it doesn't slow down my desktop.
> I believe this is not a bug, but a feature :)

Sorry but your test is absolutely not correct. I have say *some* big pdf
and the only pdf that you test is a text only pdf. In the real live many
pdf contain images too. Another think that I have never understand is
why beagle re-index always files that are already indexed.

It was not in my dream that beagle was taking 100% of my CPU and make my
system *totally* unusable and BTW I have never have so a problem when I
build big RPM package that take 100% of the CPU. For example, when I
build Xgl (a really big package) I can continue to browse, read mails
with Thunderbird and coding in Eclipse on the other hand when beagle
take 100% of the CPU I can difficultly open a gnome-terminal to kill him.

If you are sure that everybody here say nothing true about beagle, It
seems to me like a not constructive discuss and IMHO not the good way of
doing if you will convince peoples here.