[Fwd: F7: Howto monitoring a Hardware sata raid controller]

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jul 4 17:36:43 UTC 2007

>>>>> "AvdV" == Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead.org> writes:

AvdV> "dmraid" is the component that does the raid, and I think it has
AvdV> some form of monitoring, but I don't know all that much about
AvdV> it, I hope that at least it's a start for you to look for more
AvdV> info...

dmraid will alert you if the RAID set becomes incomplete or
experiences an error.

smartd will alert you if the disks themselves experience errors (even
ones that are remapped by the drive, in my experience).

I don't know if there's any sort of functionality like the drive
scrubbing that 3ware cards have.  (They periodically read, reconstruct
if necessary and rewrite all of the sectors on all of the drives,
which prevents sectors from going bad silently.)  You can run a cron
job that asks the drives in your RAID set to do online self fests;
smartd may even support doing that automatically.

 - J<