Pirut: Edit -> Repositories mock-up.

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:57:46 UTC 2007

> You're missing my point here... the idea _ISN'T_ "how does the UI mock
> up match with the use cases".  It's more "determine the set of use
> cases.  Based on them, work on the actual interface".  You _start_ with
> the use cases, not the mockup.

I agree. I was just checking out those use-cases, which have been implemented.

By the way would it be better if we listed out the use-cases on some
Web page, since a mailing list does not seem to be a very good way to
maintain such a document? If yes, should I do it on the Fedora wiki,
or my blog is good enough?

> If the vendor is providing it via an RPM, then the user just installs
> the RPM.  They can even do so right from the browser.  This is more the
> case where they say "the repo is at http://some.site.com/path/to/repo"
> and you then have to go configure it yourself.

So a 'Add' dialog with:
Repo ID:
Repo Name:
Repo Baseurl:
Mirrorlist:
..etc..
....would be fine?

> 4) $vendor provides a repo file on their website and would like to have
> it be easy for end-users to add that to their configs

This seems to be interesting. I can think of 2 options:
a. Provide a way by which the user can simply copy-paste the URL of
the RPM published on the site, and the tool automatically handles the
rest.
b. The user downloads the RPM and there is a way in which one can ask
Pirut to do:
  $ yum localinstall <package>.rpm

> So, why do this in the repository editor?  I'd argue the _better_ way to
> handle this is:
> a) Use with what's installed should be fixed to be okay if you don't
> have any repos set up/accessible.  This is pretty straight-forward to do
> b) If a single repo fails to set up (or multiple, where n < total number
> of repos), allow a way to do a temporary disable then.

Fine enough. Let me see if I can do something about this. :-)

> But why should it be separate at the top level there?  Adding a
> repository can be an easy thing to do.  Hell, the Fedora DVD should be
> set up _by default_ to be accessed as the core repo, but that requires
> someone to write some code so that we can do a reasonable job of writing
> out repos at install time.

What if someone deletes the configuration file corresponding to the
DVD? Wouldn't a single click method to bring it back be better? Or you
want the 'Add' dialog to have an option distinguishing between the
Fedora DVD and other repositories?

>>> * What's a channel?  It says it's a repository manager but then seems to
>>> be dealing with something that's channels?

>> I took most of the strings from Synaptic. Please suggest something
>> else. "Repositories" would be alright?

> Probably.

If no one objects to this, then I am going to replace "Channels" by
"Repositories".

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--